Posted to uk.d-i-y
Handsome Jack Handsome Jack is offline

Default Renting out a house

Davey posted
On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 23:53:38 +0100
Bill wrote:

I had a look at the house again today, and think he really will have
to get some electrics sorted out (eg the fridge is on an extension
reel in a lean-to), and perhaps the soakaway that takes all the water
from the house gutters.

Both will need to be sorted, yes. A proper certificate of electrical
safety would be a good idea, if it isn't needed already.And don't forget
to tell the insurance company that it will be let.

But remember that while people are always saying "you have to have this
by law, you have to have that by law", it isn't necessarily true, or is
only true under certain conditions. I spent years installing and
maintaining CO monitors before discovering they weren't required in my
house after all.

I suggest joining one of the Associations, such as The National
Landlords Association, they can give you a potted version of legal
requirements:
http://www.landlords.org.uk/

Worth a look even if you don't join.

--