Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Renting out a house

"Davey" wrote in message
On 6 Sep 2016 11:05:13 GMT
David wrote:

On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 23:14:13 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Bill wrote:
rentable?
What do these inclusive estate agent deals involve? If a tenant is
installed and a light bulb needs replacing, is the agent likely to
call in a contractor at great expense?

Yes, I'm afraid so in general. We have a rented flat (i.e. we're
the landlords) and it's mostly handled by an agent. Things like
the annual gas inspection cost a *lot* more if I let the agent do
it all rather than doing it myself directly with a 'gas man'. I
think it was something like £150 via the agent versus £80 if I
arranged it myself (with the same bloke that the agency used).

Depends on location and agent, but our annual gas check cost £50
through the agent.

If you live close to the property and you are strong enough
emotionally to deal with difficult issues with difficult tenants then
rent the property directly.

If you are any distance away (or don't want to be always on call for
the smallest thing) then employ an agent. You have to have (just like
any business) cover for sickness and holidays if you are managing the
property yourself.

Expect the property to be treated with less consideration than you
would use, and to need refurbishing after any rental. You may be
lucky, of course, but set your expectations realistically.

Cheers

Dave R

Agreed on all counts. We had to restock with brooms, brushes etc after
several successive rentings, as though the departing tenants could not
be bothered to go to the hardware shop themselves for their next places.

Our agent said it was best to rent the place unfurnished and the tenant
actually does all the cleaning and beds etc at one of the local motels
and blitzed thru the place we are renting out before she moved in
using her own gear to do that.