Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sealing edge of particle board - Update

On 9/6/2016 3:18 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 08:36:33 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 9/6/2016 2:33 AM,
wrote:
My husband and I have carpeted stairs made of paticle board. I'd like to ditch the carpet, scrape out the staples, fill those particle boards and paint the stairs.

I have read everyone's ideas for filling and smoothing a surface. This surface will need to be durable enough to withstand continual foot scraping and weight changes as we run up and down stairs. And the treated surfaces must be sandable.

Which filler would you gentlemen recommend? Any recommended type of paint for such stairs?

If the holes are relatively large fill with Rock Hard, tiny holes, any
putty. Paint with a quality Deck Paint.

Nine of those will do a satisfactory job of filling the "open grain"
edge of partical board. I second the hardwood "caps" or thin plywood
and solid wood noses shop made and securelu glued.

Well at least nine will work. ;~)

But Rock Hard will fill a porous edge just fine.