Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI Fuese

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 16:18:52 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 16:07:59 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 12:36:56 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

On 09/05/2016 02:49 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Umm. Unless you know something about GFCI that I don't, it's never
needed a ground wire. From what I understand, the GFCI is watching the
voltage from hot to neutral and if they become imbalanced, it trips.

Look up the Leviton GFCI Outlet. Is has a green screw for the ground
wire. Butterbean.

Needed if you want the outlets to be grounded. Not needed for GFCI
protection.

And "wanting the outlets to be grounded" should have a reason. A
ground is for safety in case there is a short or leak inside the
device that makes the case "hot" The ground prevents a shock when
yoiu touch the case. A GFCI has the same effdect - tripping in
presence of a short or leak to the cae - preventing a shock.

You will certainly get a wake up shock on a GFCI but it shouldn't be
fatal ... unless you fall off the ladder.

You just get a tickle.