Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Sealing edge of particle board - Update

On 9/6/2016 3:33 AM, wrote:
My husband and I have carpeted stairs made of paticle board. I'd like to ditch the carpet, scrape out the staples, fill those particle boards and paint the stairs.

I have read everyone's ideas for filling and smoothing a surface. This surface will need to be durable enough to withstand continual foot scraping and weight changes as we run up and down stairs. And the treated surfaces must be sandable.

Which filler would you gentlemen recommend? Any recommended type of paint for such stairs?

No fillers, no paint. I covered a set of stairs with a good laminate.
Fifteen years and no maintenance later it looks as good as the day
installed.