Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Sealing edge of particle board - Update

On 09/06/2016 3:33 AM, wrote:
My husband and I have carpeted stairs made of paticle board. I'd like to ditch the carpet, scrape out the staples, fill those particle boards and paint the stairs.

I have read everyone's ideas for filling and smoothing a surface. This surface will need to be durable enough to withstand continual foot scraping and weight changes as we run up and down stairs. And the treated surfaces must be sandable.

Which filler would you gentlemen recommend? Any recommended type of paint for such stairs?

I think that removing the carpet and trying to seal the particle board
is a bad idea. Stairs are one of the highest traffic areas in the
house, and particle board does not hold up to that type of use. Even
the type used in high quality furniture when finished does not hold up
to heavy use.

The steps would have to be sealed to moisture, and that sealing compound
applied frequently so that moisture does not get into the particle
board. Edges of the particle board will become chipped off, and gouges
will appear in the steps.

If you want to rid the stairs of carpet, I would look at something I saw
at Lowes the other day. It is essentially a wood vernier for stairs
like you have. It is made of oak, but is much thinner than the
traditional wood steps. It is designed with a lip that would cover the
edge of the particle board underneath.

I suspect you will see it a lot in the mid range and lower priced home
upgrades.