Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Renting out a house

In message , bert writes
Don't accept DSS tenants at any price.
Ask the agent what vetting of tenants they carry out.
Be aware of the Disputes Agency when it comes to handing back the
tenants deposit.
Make sure the agent does a through inventory with photos before and
after the tenancy.
Read the tenancy agreement also. Then you will understand what the
tenant is expected to do with regards to day-to-day maintenance.
Supply the tenants with copies of user instructions for all appliances,
Ch, alarms etc. but don't give them the bit on how to change the code
on the alarm (and make sure you know how to get engineers access to
reset it!! Make it a condition in the tenancy that the code be left as
found -then nay cost can be reclaimed under the Dispute Service.
Be a reasonable landlord and if you are lucky you may get a reasonable
tenant. It has worked for me so far :-)

Thanks, Bert, and everyone else. I'm cobbling together a resume of the
various points for him (and me) to read and digest.

I had a look at the house again today, and think he really will have to
get some electrics sorted out (eg the fridge is on an extension reel in
a lean-to), and perhaps the soakaway that takes all the water from the
house gutters. The main house foul water drainage seems separate and OK.
--
Bill