Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Renting out a house

ss Wrote in message:
On 05/09/2016 18:07, Theo wrote:
Bill wrote:
We can get the garden tidied for him and do small jobs so it looks OK,
and I might be asked to get involved in meeting one or more estate
agents on site.
Is it likely that he would have to get all the doors right before it was
rentable?

IANAL but I don't think door fit is likely to be an issue unless it's a
House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) - ie rented out as rooms - which requires
higher fire safety standards. I think three-storey properties also require
higher standards, BICBW.

OTOH tenants are likely to complain about eg blocked drains so it would be
well to fix things like that up in advance.

What do these inclusive estate agent deals involve? If a tenant is
installed and a light bulb needs replacing, is the agent likely to call
in a contractor at great expense?

Ask the agent for a copy of the tenancy agreement, as well as the agency
agreement. Typically the tenant might be asked to do things they are
provided with tools to do the job for - eg mow the lawn if you give them a
lawnmower - but not things that require training or risk (eg clearing the
gutters from a ladder). Those things expected of the tenant should be in
the tenancy agreement.

Theo

From what I have been told the less electrical things you have if
renting furnished the better, If the tenent cant work something properly
then it usually means a call-out as they will claim its broken, my son
got hit with some expense when his tenant screwed with the settings on
the central heating then claimed it wasnt working.

OTOH the tenants that rented a house we had, claimed benefits that
qualified them for a new boiler, so at the end of the tenancy
the house was handed back with a new combi replacement of the old
cast iron lump, enhancing the saleability of the property.

--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/