Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default GFCI Fuese

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 13:18:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 3:49:25 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 19:31:29 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

It's been a while since I installed any GFCIs and I don't remember
the date on my last code book but you mean a newer type GFCI needs
no ground wire? o_O

Umm. Unless you know something about GFCI that I don't, it's never
needed a ground wire. From what I understand, the GFCI is watching the
voltage from hot to neutral and if they become imbalanced, it trips.

Look up the Leviton GFCI Outlet. Is has a green screw for the ground
wire. Butterbean.

Having a ground screw doesn't mean anything as far as the operation of the
GFCI. It's there as an equipment ground to be used when a ground wire is
either present or required.

As said:

"GFCIs also mitigate the lack of a ground wire. It is the only legal
way to do a replacement of an ungrounded receptacle with a 5-15."

My turn in the barrel this week.