Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Steel disk of 50mm

On 9/5/2016 6:51 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
On 05/09/2016 16:22, Mike Perkins wrote:
I'm trying to source a steel disk of 50mm or slightly greater where I
can weld a nut in the centre and retains an element of rigidity.

I'm currently using:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/deta-galva...ck-of-10/1946j

really its too large a diameter though not a serious issue but is too
thin where it distorts badly whilst welding a nut in the centre.

Are there any off-the-shelf sources I can obtain a couple of these that
are 2-3mm thick? I've run out of ideas!

Thanks for the ideas.

Going for a 1.5mm thick washer M10 x 50mm and a rivnut from eBay.

Sounds good. Avoid the cheaper type of "pliers" setting tools. If you
don't want to buy an expensive, high quality setting tool because you
are only doing a limited number of parts, just use some studding and
nuts with a length of stout tubing as a spacer. You don't want to be
rotating a thread in the nut which you are setting, you want to be
*pulling* it via a nut on the other end of the studding. A bit of moly
grease on the studding will help. You will want an anti-rotate feature
for the jacking stud, an easy way is a pair of nuts locked together at
one end.

So your sequence of parts is

Rivnut, washer, studding, spacer, jacking nut, two nuts locked together.