gothika

Default TV techs: homebrewed TV

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 03:54:00 GMT, (Jason D.) wrote:

I remember one tech worked to save a very old RCA 20" tv that had
VIPUR IC die and got bypassed with STR30xxx regulator and isolator
transformer, add external standby power supply.

Now, I wondered if others had done this except take a desireable
chassis and "improve" on it with designs to key areas that can bear
improvments with nice ideas from other chassis even from other
brands'.

For example: Take a JVC chassis, take out their audio amp and put in
better amp on seperate board tapped into audio from chassis and use
four speakers one for lows & mids and tweets for the highs. Fix the
lousy HV regulation with idea based on CTC169 projector HV boost or
one like the TX826 chassis which is outstanding idea of HV regulation
by modifying the horizontal pulses and is fed by raw DC without
regulator. Etc.

Also is there a way to massage the video signal so not to make over
driven images to rid of sparkles & comets?

Your choices of desireable chassis and ideas on modifying the chassis
too.

So on...

Cheers,

Wizard

You've gotta have a good background in theory to do deep fixes like
that. There are many here who can help you though.
I remember my dad doing just that many years back in his repair shop.
He could take scraps of old sets just lying around and cobble tthem
together to make very respectable working sets.
My favorite tv when I was growing up was parts put together in an old
metal box Wizard chassis.
Dad had put all kinds of pots on the top of that square box for
everything from vert./hori. stability to basic yoke adjustment.
It produced a first rate picture for all of the time I used it growing
up.
It was still working when my step mother tossed it out to turn my old
room into a office.
That old set would probably be worth something to collectors today.
Metal simulated woodgrain finish case with glass front. 20 inch tube
with those really retro looking tuner knobs and a bottom grill with
dual speakers. all this set on tall furniture legs with a yellow/gold
chrome wire basket shelf underneath for the obligatory tv guides
etc...
You'll find someone here that'll assist you in building your ideal set
tho'.