Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Off-mains water tank and half inch class C black (alkathene?)pipe questions

On Monday, 5 September 2016 09:59:40 UTC+1, lardconcepts wrote:

Wow - you lot are fantastic! I didn't want to reply and quote one answer in particular as they're all good, but I do particularly like Thomas' "several paving slabs forming a cube" idea for the box.

And John's mention of a cyclonic filter is interesting; not sure I'd need the magnetic particle removal bit of it, but it seems no more expensive than the non-magnetic versions. I'd have to check what the min flow rate it could handle. I'll try a pair of tights for now though (over the end of the intake pipe I mean, not on me!).

Anyway, I'm armed with some good ideas here. Thanks all (but do keep them coming if you have an idea not covered here yet!)

Cyclonic filters are expensive and clog. A sloping piece of fine mesh has partial self clearing ability when it blocks, the runoff being directed to waste. It's also dirt cheap.

As I think someone mentioned something like a milk crate in the tank would reduce churning and thus silt getting into the pipe.

A basic cyclonic filter could be made with little more than a bit of plastic soil pipe. Add a mesh post-filter and Robert's related.

NT