Posted to alt.home.repair
Taxed and Spent Taxed and Spent is offline

Default Garage door key switch

On 9/4/2016 8:43 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 7:28:32 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 9/4/2016 5:08 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 6:56:00 PM UTC-5, Peabody wrote:
I have an old Sears garage door opener, and there is a small remote lock
switch mounted outside the door in the door frame. When you turn the key,
two wires leading from the switch to the opener are shorted together, and the
door opens, or closes.

The key still turns fine in the lock, but no short is created. I've removed
insulation from the wires just inside the garage, as close to the switch as I
can get, and creating a short there opens the door. So the problem appears
to be inside the switch.

I just want to know if there's anything I need to look out for when
repairing or replacing the switch. It appears to be mounted so that if I
were a bad guy trying to remove the switch and shorting the wires, pulling
the switch out would leave the wires behind. But it still seems vulnerable,
and I wonder if I can improve things.

Anyway, any "look outs" for me?

Thanks

Shorting is a term for an overload...you are making a low-voltage "connection". Not sure what you're asking though?

Rubbish!

I would beware of burglars. Those key switches, when they work, are
easy prey.

If an electrician tells me otherwise, I will accept it...not coming from a limey.

How about a good old US of A Electrical Engineer, you sap?