Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Toilet bowl rust stains

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 10:15:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 2:01:11 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 2 Sep 2016 17:31:09 GMT, KenK wrote:

What's effective to put in the toilet tank to prevent those brown rust
stains in the toilet from hard well water?

I can scrub them away but would prefer something that would prevent them

TIA

If the well water causes rust, how would you "prevent" further rust
stains in the tank? Use of corrosive products to clean the tank could
potentially damage the components in the tank. YMMV

I suppose someone might have some additive that could be dispensed in
the tank to somehow prevent the rust from attaching to the bowl. But
I've never seen one. There are systems to remove rust from water, but
those are for a whole system and expensive. For removing the stains,
CLR, ie one of the rust removing products, or similar works extremely
well. Just apply it and rust stains
disappear with no rubbing. That would probably work for me if I had
the problem and it was limited to the toilet.

OP is talking about rust stains in the "tank". CLR, in a slight
amount for cleaning the tank, when empty, (water off & flushed) should
be okay. I was cautioning about using more 'corrosive' products. They
my damage 'tank' parts. Point being, he may not "prevent" rust in the
tank in the future, due to his well water.

The poster mentioning rust stains in his undies, I'd suggest a
"little" CLR in the washer. I toss in a bit of TSP (red box) for
clothing stains (cleans a dishwasher to) - occasionally.

https://tinyurl.com/zl3h6es @ HD paint section aisle