Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tape for use in a freezer

Huge presented the following explanation :
On 2016-09-03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 03/09/2016, newshound supposed :
On 9/3/2016 2:11 PM, Chris Green wrote:
Mark Allread wrote:
Having defrosted the freezer I have found that a number of the plastic
trays have developed cracks in them. Of course it is not my wife's fault
even though she is the one who uses it most frequently.

The best solution appears to be to tape them up to hold them together
once I've drilled some small holes to stop the cracks spreading but what
sort of tape to use? Duct tape/gaffer tape I doubt will have the
necessary resistance to damp and cold so I was thinking of something like
the aluminium tape used on gutters etc.

Anyone done anything similar and can offer a view please?

Sticky tape strikes me as a pretty rubbish solution to the problem.

Find what plastic the trays are made of and it may be that there is a
solvent glue which will effectively weld the cracks. If not then I
think I'd either screw some 'patches' of sheet metal or plastic over
them or I'd bind them together by drilling small holes and using cable
ties.

I have some which crack around the "handle" recess, and thick clear 50mm
tape as sold for greenhouse repairs works fine. As would the aluminium
tape, I suspect.

+1

I also added some of those U shaped plastic binders they sell in
stationers, for binding several sheets of A4 into a 'book' form, where
they had cracked at the hand grip.

Those are dead handy, aren't they? I already repaired our fridge with one.

Yep - I reinforced all of the drawer molded in finger grips on our
freezer, after three broke.