Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Your Opinion of Good and Bad Deck Coatings (Stain. Paint, etc)

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 11:19:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/3/2016 10:43 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

| I finally solved the problem with the deck surface by replacing it with
| Tiger Wood (goncalco alves).
| http://www.advantagelumber.com/tigerwood_decking.htm

I'd be wary of that in the long run. It looks great
at first, but eventually it'll be gray. If that's OK
then why not just use fir 1x4 with linseed oil? And how
will it age over years?

It is pretty gray already. I can keep it looking good if I wanted to put
the labor into it. I choose not to.

The first deck was fir and lasted five years. I built a larger deck and
used PT. It lasted 20 years and needed to be stained frequently or
looked like crap. The structure is still good, just the flat decking was
going.

The tiger wood us supposed to last 50 years it nothing is done to it.
If true, that is my last deck as I won't last another 50 years.

I went with Ipe that will be here when my grandkids get old.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Deck%20going%20down.jpg
Honestly I should have just used PT if I was looking for something
that would last 10 years (my statistic life expectancy).