Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default TV in kitchen - regs?

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 10:48:10 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 21:51:59 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson
wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 11:25:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/09/16 11:11, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/09/16 09:30, Bert Coules wrote:
I've searched around for the answer to this but haven't found it as
yet: is there any regulation concerning placing a small wall-mounted
12V TV set in a kitchen?

I have a blank area above a draining board, partly protected from
splashes and steam by a 6" deep shelf which runs the length of that
wall. It seems like the obvious place to mount a smallish TV, say
17" or so. There are specially-designed water- and steam-proof sets
intended for bathrooms but would one of them be overkill for a
kitchen? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a conventional set?

Many thanks.

Might be OK as there is not really that much steam emitted from a
sink, other than when you drain boiling water into it. Try dumping a
pan of water down the sink and see where the steam cloud goes.

I've had two kitchens with TVS so far. Mount high up LCDs beat CRTs
for
safety .

Nevermind safety, a TV won't last so long if it's damp all the time.
Put
it somewhere dry or get a damp proof one if it's not much more
expensive.

we've had a tv in our kitchen for years -but it isn't over the sink.

Do you ever have four pans boiling and the room full of steam?

Nope, never. The most I ever have is a massive great 36L stockpot that I
use to make the marmalade in boiling and that doesn't come even close
to filling the room with steam even if I haven't turned the exhaust fan on.

I've often known families of 4 have all the hobs in use.

I guess if you have a decent extractor hood over the cooker and always use
it you'd be fine.

And he'll be fine even if he doesn't do that. I have a laptop
in the kitchen and it has never had any problems at all and
neither have any of the other electrical appliances either.

Then why does electronics have warnings about high humidity?

--
The chance of a piece of bread falling down on its buttered side is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.