Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chasing a plaster wall

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

Personally for alarm cables I'd make as small a chase as practical
then make good directly over them. No safety issues there. And how
often would you need to replace them - the only real reason to use
trunking.

Is there a safety issue with mains?
The regs now say you bury them 50mm deep if no RCD or use an RCD and do
them shallower.
I assume its the same thinking as part P ...
make the cable deep enough that you can't detect it and you don't need
to worry about someone using a 65mm screw or if its shallow enough to
detect you need to make sure its safe.

You have to wonder if these people have ever done any wiring or DIY.

For alarm cables, I was assuming the usual 4 or 6 core alarm cable which
normally carries a maximum of 12v DC. And would not be suitable for mains
anyway. No need to protect it for safety reasons, so can be as close to
the surface as you want. Of course it could be damaged by a nail etc - but
then so could plastic trunking, and anything inside it.

--
*Broken pencils are pointless.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.