Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Outdoor decorative lighting, connections and weatherproofing.

Well, most of mine run on 12 volt ac from a transformer inside. If they are
mains then each led must have some form of power supply to drop the voltage
I'd have thought.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"T i m" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just an observational type question ATM .. but when watering my mates
plants whilst he was away recently I noticed an 'end' to a cable on
what I think could be 240V - outdoor lights just dangling in the air
(they are sorta strung along the end of his garden in the trees /
bushes, Xmas tree stylee).

Fishing around I found what could have been the partner end of another
plain cut cable, exposing some insulated (blue / brown) copper
stranded cable in a flat-oval black outer sheath.

The lampholders look like std size (ES / BS) hampholders but with
rubber collars where the lamps go into the holders (suggesting they
were 'supposed' to be 'outdoor' lights). The lamps themselves look
like they could be LED (I have no idea if there are such things as
'outdoor LED' lamps).

Now, after some more fishing I found what I thought was a third loose
'end' but that seemed to have a small rubber cap on it, suggesting
that was supposed to be 'an end' (of a spur).

Now, that's all I've got for now and I've not even seen them on to see
if there is a dead 'section' but I will have another and closer look
when there next ... but could someone more familiar with such lights
confirm that a simple rubber cap is sufficient to protect a live end
on such things (particularly if they are 'mains') and assuming the
other ends are in fact where the cable has been cut (gardener / hedge
trimmer?) is there is an approved way of re-joining them please?

Cheers, T i m