Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best O ring Material for drive belt?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 11:46:03 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
ws.com...

On Sep 2, 2016, Gunner Asch wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 04:27:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 12:44:05 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
I have a vibratory cleaner...that uses a "o-ring" type drive belt to
power the bowl. Which material type O ring will last the longest?

Thanks!

Gunner

My guess is that the original belt was actually made for use as a belt.
Something like a sewing machine or vacuum cleaner belt.

Dan

You are probably correct.
So what type of O ring material do I use?

.http://www.mcmaster.com/#round-belts/=13zrucq

Joe Gwinn
================================================= =========================

Good link. We used polyurethane belts on our orbital shakers, got several
years of life running 24/7 100-1000 rpm with a 6 mm belt made from about 5
or 6' of stock on our big machine, and shorter belts down to 1/16" stuff on
little ones. It's definitely the material I would recommend for you -
easiest to fabricate, long lasting, meets your thermal and chemical
resistance needs, etc. You could use the hollow stuff (never used it but
have the vague recollection that it doesn't last as long), buy premade belts
to your length, or buy stock and make them yourself. As usual McMC is good
for onesies and some stock, but of course if you were going into production
it would be worth it to look elsewhere. Based on mfgr recommendations we
used 7-10% stretch - measure the length around the pulleys with a wire to
get the inside length, then subtract 7-10% to get the belt length. That
gives the recommended amount of tension. With polyurethane you can cut the
ends square and melt them together with a little heat gun, maybe using a bit
of angle as an alignment guide channel to hold them on center and in line.
Roll the joint on a fine belt sander if you need to smooth it up. Measure
your length then check the premade ones McMC offers, and decide if you want
to make or buy. Unless they don't have your length I'd buy one or two and
see how long they last.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames