Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default TV in kitchen - regs?

Brian Gaff wrote

I'd imagine it depends on whether you make a lot of splashes and steam in
that area. To me I've never liked mains powered radios and tvs in
kitchens,

But we do have a vast array of mains powered appliances used in the
kitchen now. And plenty of places allow combined kitchen laundrys too.

but to be fair none of my friends have ever electrocuted themselves

Don’t recall any examples of anyone much country wide having done that
either.

or damaged the equipment. If you do do this though you might want to see
if that area does get damp at any time before deciding and route all
cables well away from the sink.

I've got plenty of appliances including two microwaves and
two dishwashers close to the sink and the freezer too.

Back in the day we used to have an old 13 inch trinitron set and it was
often used in a bathroom. One day when the push buttons broke I had need
to get inside and was amazed that the main chassis had spots of rust and
pealing plating on it, so obviously condensation did it no good at all,
but it never actually went wrong in a major way even then.

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
I've searched around for the answer to this but haven't found it as yet:
is there any regulation concerning placing a small wall-mounted 12V TV
set in a kitchen?

I have a blank area above a draining board, partly protected from
splashes and steam by a 6" deep shelf which runs the length of that wall.
It seems like the obvious place to mount a smallish TV, say 17" or so.
There are specially-designed water- and steam-proof sets intended for
bathrooms but would one of them be overkill for a kitchen? Is there any
reason why I shouldn't use a conventional set?

Many thanks.