Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best O ring Material for drive belt?

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 14:14:29 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 10:32:24 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

On Sep 2, 2016, Gunner Asch wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 04:27:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 12:44:05 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
I have a vibratory cleaner...that uses a "o-ring" type drive belt to
power the bowl. Which material type O ring will last the longest?

Thanks!

Gunner

My guess is that the original belt was actually made for use as a belt.
Something like a sewing machine or vacuum cleaner belt.

Dan

You are probably correct.
So what type of O ring material do I use?

.http://www.mcmaster.com/#round-belts/=13zrucq

Joe Gwinn

Use EDPM o-rings with 8-12% stretch

Sorry that shoud be EPDM

This is the recommendation from apple rubber, by the way..

Here it is - a diect quote from their site:

O-rings provide excellent service in low power drive belt assemblies
because they are inexpensive, easy to install, and the use of
tensioning devices are not required.

When using O-rings as drive belts, certain design considerations
should be observed such as maintaining between 8% to 12% stretch on
the seal inside diameter. Also, the pulley grooves should be round and
match the O-ring's cross section in depth and width while ensuring
that the pulley diameter at the bottom of the groove is no less than 4
times the O-ring cross section.

Best Choice(s)

Ethylene Propylene (peroxide cured) is the primary elastomeric choice
because of the low stress relaxation, good flex life, abrasion
resistance, and high temperature resistance. However, poor resistance
to petroleum-based lubricating oil limits its application range.