Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best O ring Material for drive belt?

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 06:12:26 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 04:27:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 12:44:05 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
I have a vibratory cleaner...that uses a "o-ring" type drive belt to
power the bowl. Which material type O ring will last the longest?

Thanks!

Gunner

My guess is that the original belt was actually made for use as a belt. Something like a sewing machine or vacuum cleaner belt.

Dan

You are probably correct.
So what type of O ring material do I use?

Why an o-ring rather than a vacuum cleaner belt? Standard o-rings
probably aren't specifically formulated for stretching.
http://tinyurl.com/j9eaxad You didn't mention diameter or length in
your post, IIRC.

NAPA Auto Parts used to make o-rings from viton string, supergluing
the ends together. I have no idea what shore they were, that thought
coming from ~ 40 year old memory.

Ooh, found a good link. Call these guys if the chart doesn't quite
work for you: http://www.marcorubber.com/material_chart.htm There
are a few types: buna n (at last I find out what the N stands for:
nitrile), viton, perfluoroelastomer, silicone, teflon, EPDM, etc. Very
old (1960s) carb float needles were buna-n, then everything moved to
viton. http://www.marcorubber.com/materialguide.htm

--
GIFT CERTIFICATE:
From the office of Jack Kevorkian, M.D.