Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best O ring Material for drive belt?

I have a vibratory cleaner...that uses a "o-ring" type drive belt to
power the bowl. Which material type O ring will last the longest?

I use it to tumble/polish cartridge cases. Originally it came with a
"universal" belt..basically a tube and a splice barrel that one cut to
size, and used the splice piece to join the ends into a circular belt.
I ran out of the belt material a few years ago and havent found any
since then. Ive been cleaning up a bunch of cartridge brass...about
100 lbs so far, using some O-rings I had kicking around..but I had to
stretch them pretty far to get them to fit between the
pulleys...which gave them a very short life span. Since Im going to
have to order a bunch of O rings, which material should I be looking
for? The pulleys are in good shape and are of proper half round
grooves...for about a 3/16" round belt.

Secondly...how much tension would be best for this application? How
much stretch should I allow for, when ordering them? Obviously too
much elongation is bad for the belt...what would be appropriate?

Thanks!

Gunner

---