Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default B&S Engine starts but won't run

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 20:44:32 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 11:54:07 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 20:45:17 -0400, clare wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 19:55:23 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:00:48 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:54:03 -0700, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

THANK YOU everybody.
Took off carb one more time thinking that the bowl fastener probably
functions also as a gas inlet. (I've seen that before )
Wrong! But I found a tiny,tiny jet perpendicular to the gas flow that
was plugged. A sewing needle and a hammer unclogged it, and the
machine purrs rather nicely Thank you for pointing me to 'supply'
problem. Ivan Vegvary

It's good to see the group getting on topic every once in a while.

There's an amazing amount of internal combustion engine diagnosis that
you can do if you just remember that fire needs fuel, air, and heat to
burn, and that an internal combustion engine without fire is just an
air pump.

Air needs to get in, fuel needs to get in, the air & fuel need to be
heated up to ignition temperature, it has to be able to work on the
piston, and then it has to be expelled before the cycle repeats. If
one of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

Right. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark.
Not quite correct. You need fuel and air, comprssion and properly
timed spark

Erm, no. Not if the engine is old enough:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tienne_Lenoir#Lenoir_engine

idoubt anyone will run across one of them "in the wild" - or a
"flame eater" either

"Flame licker" models used to be built by some home-shop machinists.
You can still find plans and maybe kits to make them. I never heard of
a Lenoir model but I'll bet some people have made them.

I never saw the attraction to flame-lickers, but some people just like
to make models of historical engines. One of my first scratch-built
lathe projects was an oscillating steam engine (which I ran on
compressed air), so I recognize the general appeal.

When I retire, I'd like to get involved in high-performance Stirlings.
I used to correspond with James Senfft, trying to get up to speed on
lubricating Stirlings, which is a challenge, but I lost touch with him
around 15 years ago.

--
Ed Huntress

--