Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default B&S Engine starts but won't run

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 09:51:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:33:27 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Then there was covering everything outdoors for predicted rain and
reinstalling the bedliner on my truck. I removed the bed a few days
ago to find the fuel filler hose leak, then spent a day trying to
track down a replacement for less than the dealer's $317, or
Amazon's
2 month delivery.

I'm still searching for gasoline-proof duct tape. Let me know if
you
hear of any. The last of my epoxy putty hardened up on me, so I
can't
fix any more mower gas tanks this decade. I might try this HFT
epoxy
http://tinyurl.com/hsbgugl If it works on HVLP poly jugs, it should
work on a gas tank.

I bought some self-fusing silicone tape to try, perhaps under
hose-clamped soda can sheet aluminum.

Sounds expensive. I'll be at HF some day soon and will try their
$1.99 epoxy. It's time for more of their leather gloves. The dad
blasted blackberry vines puncture double thicknesses of absolutely
_anything_ else. That's one of my main September tasks, to take down
the truckfull of berry vines.

The rest of this morning and part of the afternoon were spent trying
to backup and restore the hard drive with the mindless Win 10
version
of Seagate Disk Wizard, then giving up and removing it and
installing
the powerful and dangerous Win 7 version, and learning to use it.
Are
you sure you meant to delete and wipe the C: partition?

Has anyone ever found a decent backup software? Y'know, one where
the
media still works when you need it?

There are several programs that backup or clone a whole drive or
partition, including the OS partition while it's running. I've had
good luck with Apricorn's SATA Wire and EZ Gig IV:
https://www.apricorn.com/sata-wire-3.html
It needs a USB3 port for the increased current limit. Some laptop
drives pull more current than a USB2 port can supply.

It's time to get an updated computer with USB3 ports. My last
purchase was the Acer in 2009. I'm overdue.

Seagate and Western Digital offer repackaged Acronis for free, with
the stipulation that they must find a Seagate or WD drive in the
system to operate. A portable USB drive is good enough.

I redirect my user files to a second partition or drive to keep the
operating system clean. Then a single drag-and-drop Copy will back up
all my files to a USB drive folder named with today's date, like E:
\Backup_09_01_16.
http://notebooks.com/2011/05/18/how-...-in-windows-7/

The stuff Windows actively uses is on a second partition on the same
drive, so they stay together. Large program downloads, spreadsheets,
recorded TV etc are on a second drive. I'm using older, thicker
laptops that accept another 1 Terabyte hard drive in the CD bay and
USB3 on an ExpressCard, to back up to my external drives.

This is a good free program to rearrange the partitions on drives:
http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
The changes you specify don't occur until you click "Apply". It can
also prepare a new or wiped drive for use, and test them for errors.

Yes, I've been using it ever since my ancient copy of Partition Magic
stopped working when Win7 came out. Wonderful.

When I want to test a new downloaded program I clone the operating
system to a spare drive and install and test it there before risking
it on the good system drive.

I always kept the old computer drives, just in case. I try to get
everything on a new computer before the old drive dies. Having tried
it the other way, I prefer this.

Windows records the hardware it's installed on and generally won't
activate if moved to a different computer, but I haven't had a problem
running a copy of the OS in the original computer. They usually want a
reboot the first time for the new HDD's driver. The date of the
antivirus's update tells me when the drive was last used if I forgot
to record it.

Cloned "sandbox" drives can open suspicious email attachments without
risking your good drive. I made a bootable Restore DVD that will wipe
an infected drive clean and install a stripped-down but functional
operating system which can then restore a full backup. It runs from a
read-only DVD drive.
http://cwsandbox.org/

Interesting stuff. I have a whole different view of computing now
that business isn't the first issue. As of next year, I can start
buying the cheap copy of TurboTax instead of the pricier Home and
Business Edition. Whoooee! And I have to rethink how to reload all
that software. Cloned drives seem the easiest way, and I can do that
without all the expensive and petulant software which has always
plagued me. For the past several years, I've been backing up to
inexpensive 2.5" drives, but not full clones.

I think I might move my email to the Fire or my phone and remove it
from the computer.

Now I'm collecting evidence and composing a nastygram to an Amazon
supplier who advertised two new laptop drives but instead sent a
laptop drive with 12,000 hours and two free falls recorded on it
and
a 'recertified' (failed) desktop drive.

You bought -used- computer drives? Shameful. They're bad enough
new.

Not intentionally. I ordered more New Old Stock ones (to avoid 4k
Advanced Format) from another vendor and they seem fine, although the
5 year warranty expired yesterday.

I haven't found GWX nagware in it (yet?) but it adds their Customer
Experience Improvement Program telemetry spyware which I manually
disabled(?). Experience this, dammit!
--sigh--

I finally had to uninstall either 9 or 11 Windows Updates to finally
get rid of that GWX virus. Now that Win10 is no longer free, maybe
it'll go away. I, too, try to turn off the spyware whenever
possible.

The Convenience Rollup appears as a single update so individual
changes can't be uninstalled.

Nix that idea! Whose convenience, I ask?

--
GIFT CERTIFICATE:
From the office of Jack Kevorkian, M.D.
From:Me.