Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Dishwasher and Garbage disposal on one circuit?

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 6:49:06 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:31:13 -0400, "TomR"
wrote:

I am in the process installing a new dishwasher and garbage
disposal. My plan is to run one new circuit to power both. The
plan is to use 12/2 NM wire.

Is it okay to use one dedicated circuit to wire both a dishwasher
and a garbage disposal?

P.S. Even though I will be using 12/2 NM wire, my plan is to use
a 15-amp circuit breaker for that circuit. I do know that with
12/2 wire, I could use a 20-am circuit breaker, but I have a
personal preference for using 15 amp circuit breakers on 12/2
wiring except when the circuit is required to have a 20 amp
circuit breaker.

The only way you have a chance of it working 100% of the time is if
you use a 20a breaker. That is fine on 12 ga.
The other option is to use 12/3 nm a 2 pole breaker and make a
multiwire circuit with 2 separate 20a circuits. (the most common way
of dealing with this)
Land it in a 4x4 box and use 2 GFCI receptacles to be compliant with
the current code.

Thanks. I'll use a 20-amp breaker since it is 12 ga. wire. And, I
am going to set it up so each appliance plugs in rather than
hardwiring the appliances. I already ran the 12/2, so I am going to
skip the option of using 12/3 and a double pole breaker.

Which raises the other code question, if it's code compliant to put
a cord and plug on a piece of equipment where it does not come with
one and the install instructions don't say it can be used with a cord.
I think that's come up before and the answer is no. Not saying this
is a big safety issue or anything, just that I think that issue
exists. Gfre?

Well, the deed is done. Both the dishwasher and the garbage disposal are
installed and are working. Both are on the same 20-amp circuit using 12/2
wire. Both are plugged in to a duplex receptacle that is mounted under the
sink. The receptacle is "split" where one side (the garbage disposal side)
is controlled by a wall switch on the wall above the countertop near the
sink. The other half of the receptacle is always hot -- not switch
controlled -- and the dishwasher is plugged into that side.

The "garbage disposal" is an Insinkerator Badger 900 Food Waste Disposer.
The dishwasher is a Whirlpool Model WDF320PADS1. The installation manuals
for both state that they can be either direct wired or wired with a corded
plug. We did the corded plug approach.