Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Dishwasher and Garbage disposal on one circuit?

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 8:33:26 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 6:49:06 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:31:13 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

I am in the process installing a new dishwasher and garbage disposal. My
plan is to run one new circuit to power both. The plan is to use 12/2 NM
wire.

Is it okay to use one dedicated circuit to wire both a dishwasher and a
garbage disposal?

P.S. Even though I will be using 12/2 NM wire, my plan is to use a 15-amp
circuit breaker for that circuit. I do know that with 12/2 wire, I could
use a 20-am circuit breaker, but I have a personal preference for using 15
amp circuit breakers on 12/2 wiring except when the circuit is required to
have a 20 amp circuit breaker.

The only way you have a chance of it working 100% of the time is if
you use a 20a breaker. That is fine on 12 ga.
The other option is to use 12/3 nm a 2 pole breaker and make a
multiwire circuit with 2 separate 20a circuits. (the most common way
of dealing with this)
Land it in a 4x4 box and use 2 GFCI receptacles to be compliant with
the current code.

Thanks. I'll use a 20-amp breaker since it is 12 ga. wire. And, I am going
to set it up so each appliance plugs in rather than hardwiring the
appliances. I already ran the 12/2, so I am going to skip the option of
using 12/3 and a double pole breaker.

Which raises the other code question, if it's code compliant to put
a cord and plug on a piece of equipment where it does not come with one
and the install instructions don't say it can be used with a cord.
I think that's come up before and the answer is no. Not saying this
is a big safety issue or anything, just that I think that issue exists.
Gfre?

"and the install instructions don't say it can be used with a cord."

That can be taken 2 different ways and I wonder if it depends on how it
is worded - or not worded.

If the instructions say "You may not use a cord and plug on this appliance"
then that's easy. The NEC rule says that you must follow the manufacturer's
installation instructions, so you can't use a cord and plug. That's pretty
clear.

If the instructions say "You may use a cord and plug on this appliance" then
that's easy too.

But what if the instructions don't even address it? Does the NEC require
that the instructions explicitly say that you may use a cord and plug or
is the absence of both a Can and Can't statement enough to allow it?