Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_6_] TomR[_6_] is offline

Default Dishwasher and Garbage disposal on one circuit?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 8/31/2016 7:31 PM, TomR wrote:
I am in the process installing a new dishwasher and garbage disposal.
My plan is to run one new circuit to power both. The plan is to use
12/2 NM wire.

Is it okay to use one dedicated circuit to wire both a dishwasher and a
garbage disposal?

P.S. Even though I will be using 12/2 NM wire, my plan is to use a
15-amp circuit breaker for that circuit. I do know that with 12/2 wire,
I could use a 20-am circuit breaker, but I have a personal preference
for using 15 amp circuit breakers on 12/2 wiring except when the circuit
is required to have a 20 amp circuit breaker.

I don't know about code. but mine have been wired like that for 35 years
now. In my case there is a surface mounted duplex receptacle in the sink
base. Both appliances have a cord plugged into it. If you have to work
on them you can just unplug.

Thanks. I am doing the wiring today. And, overnight, I was thinking that I
should do it as you described that yours is set up -- with a receptacle in
the sink base and have each appliance plugged into the receptacle rather
than directly hardwiring them. So, that's the plan.