Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher and Garbage disposal on one circuit?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:31:13 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

I am in the process installing a new dishwasher and garbage disposal. My
plan is to run one new circuit to power both. The plan is to use 12/2 NM
wire.

Is it okay to use one dedicated circuit to wire both a dishwasher and a
garbage disposal?

P.S. Even though I will be using 12/2 NM wire, my plan is to use a 15-amp
circuit breaker for that circuit. I do know that with 12/2 wire, I could
use a 20-am circuit breaker, but I have a personal preference for using 15
amp circuit breakers on 12/2 wiring except when the circuit is required to
have a 20 amp circuit breaker.

The only way you have a chance of it working 100% of the time is if
you use a 20a breaker. That is fine on 12 ga.
The other option is to use 12/3 nm a 2 pole breaker and make a
multiwire circuit with 2 separate 20a circuits. (the most common way
of dealing with this)
Land it in a 4x4 box and use 2 GFCI receptacles to be compliant with
the current code.