Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default More woes for nation's flood insurance program

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:53:53 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

On 8/30/2016 10:37 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:10:14 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

It might be time to change the program's approach in handling flood
claims. Areas that are prone to repeated flooding should get a
one-time payout; after that, if they choose to rebuild, it's at their
own risk.

Welcome to the Republican party, Moe!

I have no problem with the gov't stepping in where the private sector
cannot or will not provide a necessary good or service. The thing is,
flooding is a growing problem as sea levels keep rising and the number
of extraordinarily heavy, flooding rainfalls increase. If it's cheaper
to acknowledge reality and just relocate the homeowners, let's do it.

I do have a problem with the government providing goods and services just because they have found another way to buy
votes. If the practice of buying votes ended today we could easily begin to pay down the massive debt our current
incompetent idiot has engineered in the last 8 years.

In the late 90s my side of town experienced an extraordinary flood
event in part of a subdivision built on what had previously been
marshland adjacent to a large lake. The local government decided to be
practical. They bought out the homeowners, razed the houses, and
turned the area into a park. There were two homeowners who refused the
buyout. They're still there, but they can't get flood insurance.
They've assumed the risk, not the rest of us.