Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] greyridersalso@googlemail.com is offline

Default Seagulls

On Wednesday, 31 August 2016 08:41:43 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 01:07:04 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:03:24 +0100
JoeJoe wrote:

Over the last year or so a large flock of Seagulls has invaded our
neighbourhood. We are on a small hill, so they tend to land on some
of the highest buildings roofs (ours included), and make a hell of a
noise, before they fly around for a few minutes, making even more
noise, land, and start again.

This goes on for a couple of hours early in the morning and before
dusk.

In addition to the noise I was also forced to wash my car 3 times in
the last 2 weeks (my average is around once a year€¦). All the small
birds that we used to enjoy watching in our garden have also
disappeared.

Any suggestion for a humane way to send them somewhere else before I
apply for an air gun license?

Many thanks in advance,

PS: I dont know anyone who keeps birds of prey either.
PPS: we are 50+ miles from the sea and there is no landfill etc
nearby BTW

Just be aware that they are protected by law.

Search: seagull protection

You have my sympathy.

Interesting (I didn't know they were protected but then have never
thought of interfering with one personally). ;-)

Looking at the laws I think it's (In England) illegal to:
'intentionally or recklessly injure or kill any gull or damage or
destroy an active nest or its contents' but that's not what a scarer
would do.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforw...ls/thelaw.aspx

However, it also goes on to say: 'The UK administrations can issue
licences, permitting nests to be destroyed or even birds to be killed
if there is no non-lethal solution, and if it is done to prevent
serious damage to agriculture, the spread of disease, to preserve
public health and safety and air safety, or to conserve other wild
birds'.

But then like many animals there are gulls (nice) and gulls (yobbos)
and I think most people would be happy to send the latter elsewhere
(preferably to a far away island). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

We live a two minute walk from the sea and are plagued with the wretched things mess, noise and general nuisance. Recently, a series of extremely loud, percussive noises mysteriously occurred at random intervals over a few days. Nobody has laid claim to being the perpetrator but....pretty much all the gulls have gone! Look up outdoor fireworks. Enjoy.