Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default OT Got out just in time.

whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 14:54:25 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 11:24:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

We're seeing various trade negotiations in trouble - like between the US
and EU. Canada and the east.

It was a pretty **** deal from what I;'ve heard from other sources,
such as insiting we buy drugs from the USA even if we didn't need them.
Thre were plenty of oppersition to TTIP

Of course. Each country wants the very best deal it can get. For itself.

So no trade will ever be done then.

Up to the other country to do that too. Which is why, as I keep on saying,
you don't do it with a handshake over a pint. It takes many years.

and after I think 7 years this has failed I've heard it something germnay
didn't like. Which is why the EU has become to large and unfit for the
purpose it was originaly set up for which was to make sure that no single
country could gain the upper hand.

But plenty leavers think we will have no trouble making new agreements
with everyone. Perhaps with Mars...

Yes we will.

Why do you think it is easier making agreements with 27 countries than
just an agreement between two countries ?

Because an exporter wants the biggest market it can get. 27 countries in a
package are just that. And if they share rules on such things, it
shouldn't take as long as 27 individual deals.

But just one country disagreeing via a veto can halt anything.

Cabn yuo explain this POV as I just don't understand it. It;s bad enough
negotiating a price on anything when a couple is involed let alone a
grouop of 27.

Why do you think it's easier to get an agreement between 27 countries
than just between 2 ?

We might be able to get a deal with some tiny country easily. But tiny
countries don't do much trade.

A small country like the USA you mean.
The EU wasn't negotiating with a tiny country the USA isn't a tiny country.

Of course without knowing exactly where it failed....

I think it is failing because no-one in the EU really wanted the TTIP
deal except us: and we sort of opted out of long term EU planning
recently.

Regarding teh agreement with Mars, do you think it will be easier
negitiating with just those on Amrs or shoud we discuss our trade with
plutotins and vensians and every otheer body in the solar system.

Not if Pluto and Mars already have a deal. Ours would have to fit in with
that.

Why ?

--

Roger Hayter