Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheChief TheChief is offline

Default That gap around the sockets

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
Wrote in message:
I've never really found an acceptable solution to the annoying gap that
shows above, below or to one side of a socket/switch after plasterboard
wasn't cut just right to line up with the back boxes.

Unfortunately I have a significant number of sockets and switches with
1/4" gap that the face plates don't cover (builders error but probably
better than I could have done)

In the past I've tried everything from grip-fill to attempting to filler
the gap, filler being perhaps the least effective solution.

Anyone got any better ways that won't crack out?

Cheers - Pete

---

OK so here's the anal method if you are bugged by such things.

As others have said, fill most of the depth of the gap almost up
to the front of the back box with decorators caulk.
Then get some stiff card and cut a long 1" wide strip.
Carefully bend the card and sellotape it into a hollow rectangular
"tube" 1" long that fits precisely into the inside of the
rectangular back box. If you make these "tubes" carefully then
they will push in as far as the fixing lugs on each side of the
back box and stay put.

Then this gives you a face to fill up to with the finishing
filler. When the filler is set you flex the rectangular tube
away from the filler and remove. Then use in another box (or
make a few tubes and do loads at once).

My kitchen was finish skimmed before I did the electrics (don't
ask) and it is not possible to see the filler and it hasn't
cracked so the method is good for at least 4 years.

Hope you can follow the explanation.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----