Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Leaking roof

I'd say welding lead is uncommon. Soldering it being so easy. But unless
pretty fancy, most joints are of an overlapped type to allow for
expansion, etc. But repairing lead with gunge sort of defeats the whole
point of it.

If it really is a joint which cannot be rolled or overlapped then, while
soldering may be easier, the Lead Sheet Association deprecate it
compared with welding ("burning"):

"Generally solder is only used for soldered dots or where lead welding
or bossing is impracticable."

http://leadsheet.co.uk/specification-sheets

And impracticable depends on the worker: watching someone weld a
overhead joint was a memorable example of craftsmanship. But I've no
idea what it cost.

--

Robin