Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default falure mode of immersion heater also causing leak?

On 30/08/2016 14:17, Roger Mills wrote:
On 29/08/2016 22:23, John Rumm wrote:

There is probably one good message to take from that... don't work on a
cylinder when its still full of *hot* water - it only magnifies the
problems when something goes pair shaped! Let it cool down first.

Or pear shaped, even.

It's still advisable to loosen the heater with the tank full, such that

Yup not disputing that - just full though rather than full of hot water.
If the tank decides to split on you big time as you loosen it, you have
far more options open to you than you do if water at 60+ deg C is
spewing everywhere!

it can be removed more easily after the tank has been drained - but
obviously don't unscrew it fully with the tank full!

;-)

I once replaced the temperature sensor probe in the DHW part of a combi.
I forgot to shut off the mains cold feed to it. Needless to say, when it
finally pulled free of its socket, things got damp rather fast, and
sticking my thumb over the source of the jet of water only served to
spread it around over a wider area!
--
Cheers,

John.