Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default advanced auto no longer offers trouble code scanning

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 9:26:10 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

....snip...

IDK how fancy a tester they had or what it costs, but labor cost
would add up too. They have to pay someone to go do it. And then
I'm sure a lot of people proceed to ask all kinds of questions
as to what it all means, what to replace, etc that could tie them
up for 20 mins. Thinking about it, that part, responding to all
the questions, is probably what gets them in trouble, with some
customers blaming them. The code reader doesn't tell you what
to change, what to fix, it only tells you what codes it sees.
Even for mechanics, it then comes down to experience, further
testing, an process of elimination. I''m sure there are plenty
of people out there that don't understand that.

According to what I was told, they are not eliminating charging system
checks. (alternator, battery, etc.)

There is probably less labor time/questions/instances of incorrect
diagnosis involved with a charging system check vs. an ECM code.
Maybe more profit margin too.