Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default B&S Engine starts but won't run

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:39:57 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:07:01 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

Greenies wherever there is any copper content - including brass jets.
Greenies plug jets.

The Greenies I was referring to were the environmentalists whackos who
said that the nasty chemicals (which really -worked- to clean carbs)
were bad for the environment and made the (fellow Liberal employees of
the) gov't restrict them, hence all the ****ty cleaners we have
nowadays. It takes 5 gallons of the new crap (and several days of
work) to equal what 1/4 pint of the old 'bad' stuff could do in half
an hour (by itself), and the bad stuff was reusable ten times. sigh
I fail to see, to this day, anything Greenies have accomplished.

Hooch absorbs water too - when things cool off you
get phase separation - which leaves water in the bottom of the tank
and float bowl - which rusts out the tank or float bowl eventually -
and makes it hard to start the engine on the short term. Water doesn't
burn very well.. The hooch is hard on some fuel lines and gaskets too
- as well as diaphragms in "regulator" carbs.

I can imagine that. g being hard on gaskets/diaphragms,
everything nowadays is made with viton, which is impervious, designed
to withstand the chemical additives.

I've run across more than one instance of every one of these - not on
MY equipment mind you - I stay clear of ethanol fuel for small engines
(and airplanes)

I'd be a mite picky about my airplane fuel, too.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our