Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Braggins Alan Braggins is offline

Default measuring devis

On 2016-08-27, KYW wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 12:16:45 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
fred wrote:
I want to measure the width of a groove which is only about 3.5mm wide

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and 1-3 mm deep. Ordinary Mitutoyo calipers with pointed tips are not
much good for this application due to the shallow nature of the groove.

Any suggestions ?

A set of 'number' drill bits it useful for this sort of thing. Depending
on just how accurate you need the measurement to be.

Yes that sound possible If I can get a cheap set of metric ones I\ll give
it a try

You haven't said if you want to measure the depth or the width of the groove
or both.

He said he wanted to measure the width. (If he wants the depth as well, maybe
he's already used the depth gauge on his calipers and not had a problem.)