Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] stvlcnc43@googlemail.com is offline

Default Leaking roof

A friend has a leak through her roof. It is a 3-storey "town house" and access is difficult, so we have not seen the source of the leak. She has received an estimate from the only roofer who turned up. The estimate states that a weld on the leadwork has failed, so the leadwork will be resealed and the whole area covered with bitumen (or as the roofer puts it, "bitchman"). I've never heard of bitumen (or "bitchman") being applied over leadwork, and it seems to me that once the bitumen is applied there will be no way of telling whether the leadwork has been sealed properly, or at all.
Would anyone like to advise or comment, please?