Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reinforcing the back of a TV or monitor

In article ,
Lee writes:
On 29/08/2016 17:28, DerbyBorn wrote:

Can't you perhaps mount it in a frame so tha tthe heacy screen is
suppoerted all around - at least when driving - perhaps a parking location.
Not surprised it is breaking.

Personally I'd want to mount it as rigidly as possible so that it moves
with the mass of the vehicle and not independently.

I was thinking the opposite - a bracket which can absorb much of
the vibration would prevent it reaching and damaging the TV.

I would not be surprised if the vibration eventually caused internal
damage to circuitry too, be it connectors that dislodge, or heavier
components that break free, or large circuit boards which flex and
crack (although circuit boards have become tiny in newer sets nowadays).

Ironically, the broken case has become a point to absorb the energy,
but it's not going to do it safely without failing, whereas a properly
designed vibration mount would.

I'm now imagining a mount consisting of a couple of bungie straps
stretched tighly between the mid-wall and the ceiling (out a bit from
the wall), with the TV attached to the centre of them. Ideally, you
want some damping too, but even without dampers, that would reduce the
extremes of the G-forces reaching the TV. Washing machine drum suspension
springs from the ceiling and drum shock absorbers below to the wall
would be another way, although those shock absorbers are probably too
tough unless you attach the concrete drum weight to the back of the
screen too, and that might significantly change the drive handling!

--
Andrew Gabriel