Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default That gap around the sockets

On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 00:29:39 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/08/2016 22:35, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
I've never really found an acceptable solution to the annoying gap that
shows above, below or to one side of a socket/switch after plasterboard
wasn't cut just right to line up with the back boxes.

Unfortunately I have a significant number of sockets and switches with
1/4" gap that the face plates don't cover (builders error but probably
better than I could have done)

In the past I've tried everything from grip-fill to attempting to filler
the gap, filler being perhaps the least effective solution.

Anyone got any better ways that won't crack out?

You can get thin plastic finger protector plates designed to go behind
sockets and switches - they create a 1" (ish) wide boarder round the
back edge of the faceplate that stops the wall getting finger prints all
over it. Also handy for hiding gaps.

e.g: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004GU8J3A

If it's out by that much, the next deeper box could be fitted.