Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default "hard start" on AC

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 6:46:21 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

Again yes MOV are used in power supplies,

Not just on power supplies, they are used on circuit boards to protect
electronics that has nothing to do with a power supply. Like on a
phone jack for a modem for example.

but MOV came out about 30 years
ago
what was used before that time?

What does it matter? The purpose of the caps on the incoming
power to electronics boards use the caps we are talking about
not for surge protection, but to SUPPLY DC current to the components
on the board due to sudden changes in current needed, eg digital
circuits that are switching. These boards have both the caps for
that purpose and they may have MOVs to protect from external
surges. Two different purposes. The cap is like a local battery,
when a circuit on the board suddenly switches, it creates a need
for additional current. If that current has to come through feet
of wire, it has impedance blocking it. And as the current flows
it would possibly have effects on other boards connected to the
power supply wires. By having the cap there, it momentarily
serves as as source for the extra current, so there is no dip
in the voltage.

There some Capacitors that are made for very
high-power in switching circuits like power station that can very easily
kill person
but I do not think that we are talking about those.

So why bring it up?

Electrolytic common definition in DC systems not necessarily in the AC
systems
and no commonly they do not get charge in AC systems as I said
they are use
limit current but 90 deg. out of phase to the AC line to start or run
motors, what
would be classification of running Capacitor which is on at all the time
when power
source is applied.

It's doing the same thing as the hard start cap, it's providing
phase shift. In the case of the PSC motor, it needs that phase
shift all the time, not just when starting.

You can also change power consumption by change the value
of capacitor. (Don't do it unless you know what you are doing)
unless it is bad and is leaking through, but the CA will' because that is
what is should do.

Voltage doesn't pass through anything, current can. And yes AC
current will flow through a cap, never said otherwise.

Some of you guys can say whatever you want I am not here to squabble over
some stupidity.
So gents have nice day...

If you have a point here, IDK what it is.