Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default falure mode of immersion heater also causing leak?

"jkn" wrote in message
Hi All
what connection, if any, is there likely to be a connection between the
following two events:

- Immersion heater seems to have failed (power going to terminals OK)
- a small leak around the top of the tank, where the heater is fitted
?

Of course my next step is to try and unscrew the heater with a view to
replacing; I'm just wondering what failure mode might account for both
symptoms.

Cheers
Jon N

I have replaced my immersion heater many times. Once, it was so stuck that I
tore the copper tank trying to unscrew it. I was able to solder copper
patches to repair the breaks, but later, an unknown leak allowed water to
get between the copper and the surrounding foam insulation, which then broke
into pieces at the top. I eventually replaced the whole cylinder.

Your leak might be just a failure of the fibre ring washer under the heater,
in which case the new heater should come with a new one. On the other hand
the leak could be due to a tear in the copper caused by a brutal torque
during the replacement of your existing heater.

I live in a hard water area, and the heater tubes just corrode away
eventually.
--
Dave W