Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Auto Headlights Very Dim

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:58:24 -0400, wrote:

Do anyone of you have any suggestions, tips, or other information?

20 year old bulbs can be dim. Check the voltage and ground too.

If you had read my *ENTIRE* original post, you would have noticed that I
said I JUST REPLACED THE BULBS with *NEW* OEM Bulbs.

All voltages are correct, and connections are proper.

Alignment may be an issue, and I intend to do a little tweaking of that,
as soon as I can find the correct measurements. I know to park it on a
level surface and aim the lights at a wall, but I need to learn how far
to park (distance between headlights and wall), and how far from the
ground, the lights should focus. I will likely have to go to a Chrysler
dealer to get these measurements.

No you won't. Just google "easy headlight alignment" 25 feet from
garage door etc on level ground, 2 inch drop. It's that simple - and
the procedure is universal.

Ok, Since in front of my garage is sloped, I found a relatively flat
place. parked 25ft from a tree, and stood a sheet of plywood against the
tree. I located the adjuster and did as stated. I think I turned each
adjuster about 15 turns. It's no wonder I could not see anything, they
were nearly aimed at the bottom of that plywood sheet.

I then took it out on the road and could actually see ahead of me, and
see street name signs. (after dark of course). It makes a heck of a
difference...... Once I got on the road, I noticed one light was
slightly differnt than the other, so I tweaked one of them slightly,
right on the side of the road.

This vehicle has no body damage and the lights are tight. Apparently
someone really screwed up the alignment before I bought this van. The
horizontal seems ok, but the verticle was WAY OFF !!!

I still think I'm gonna get some brighter bulbs, but now I can actually
see far down the road ahead of me, not just see a two or three squares
of concrete in front of my van.