Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_6_] John B.[_6_] is offline

Default Seven years of metalworking. I am humbled

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:31:00 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:17:05 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 19:58:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:47:07 -0500, Ignoramus19573

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
On 08/26/2016 5:38 PM, Ignoramus12311 wrote:

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted, resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Have no way to know "why", but the lack of QC and process by the
contracting firm is mind-boggling for a $10M+ project.

I agree.

You'd think that at the very least, the last guy to head the project
would have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb, just to
cover his _own_ ass, let alone the company's. shrug

Scary thought: Is this what's coming out of our colleges nowadays?

Unfortunately..yes.

However such things are all to common as witnessed by other YouTube
videos on the same subject.

I've seen all sorts of yachts slung over the dockside and dropped out
of a pair of slings which had no connection for stability, nor did the
load leveler bar (whatver that's called.) How do all those lousy crane
operators get away with that kind of crap and retain their licensing?

A boat dropped or set horizontally into the water level is at its most
stable position.

Did you read the report?

A boat being slid stern first into the water is not in its most stable
conditions. As the report states, "Stern-first launching on an angled
ramp or incline presents a stability issue that large vessels face
only when first entering the water. The large trim angle causes the
vessel's stern to become buoyant while the bow is supported on a
cradle. This can cause a momentary negative righting arm and, without
additional supports at the bow constraining the vessel from rolling,
necessitates getting the hull into the water quickly to obtain full
stability
--
cheers,

John B.