Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Seven years of metalworking. I am humbled

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 07:28:47 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:47:07 -0500, Ignoramus19573

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
On 08/26/2016 5:38 PM, Ignoramus12311 wrote:

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary
luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted,
resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Have no way to know "why", but the lack of QC and process by the
contracting firm is mind-boggling for a $10M+ project.

I agree.

You'd think that at the very least, the last guy to head the project
would have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb, just to
cover his _own_ ass, let alone the company's. shrug

Scary thought: Is this what's coming out of our colleges nowadays?

With all the computer design tools they still have to test the hull:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclining_test
"The metacentric height (GM), which dominates stability, can be
estimated from the design, but an accurate value must be determined by
an inclining test."

GIGO, perhaps? And the numbers may be few, but there are architects
and engineers out there who always test the limits, often with
disastrous results. Or, what if it was a young crew of builders who
had celebrated their joy at landing a $10m job a bit too early? Kinda
like the brilliant move Lochte made recently...

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/wat...g-h-1728578936

A doomed Japanese cruiser temporarily outmaneuvering dive bombers:
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/navalwa...pics/nachi.jpg

I've always been awed at the angles to which destroyers and carriers
roll during emergency turns, as seen in WWII movies. The cooks must
hate that. Do warships have the ballast shifting capabilities the
passenger cruise ships use to smooth out high/heavy seas?

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.