Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Rasp for turning

Puckdropper wrote:
Never being one to avoid asking what's on my mind...

Would a surform rasp or similar have any use on the lathe? I was wondering
if it would be handy for those "chippy" or wrong-way grain turning projects
that really don't want a whole lot of material to be removed at once.

Puckdropper

OK I tried it. I used a sharp surform (small hand-held type). The
heel rested on the tool rest and I held the center against the work
with varying pressure. The piece was a 4" cylinder 4" long which had
been roughly turned round. It was well dried sweetgum wood.

At 100 rpm it caught and stalled the lathe. At 400 rpm it soon filled
with shavings. The blade was hot to the touch. There were multiple
mini-tearouts which did not happen with a bowl gouge. Also slower
than a sharp gouge. My impression: not useful.

Years ago I made a special baseplate for my router and a tool rest for
it to ride on and tried it for rounding irregular pieces. At that
time I only had a hand-me-down HF monotube lathe. It did work, but
was cumbersome and scary and I soon abandoned the idea.

--
GW Ross

In the long run men hit only what they
aim at. (Thoreau)