Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Melos Echo Chamber, EM120 from 1979

Selfie handle was too thick, stretched-on some silicone sleeving using
farmer's castration pliers. Made little difference. I think the problem
is the way the tape is taken off the inside of the reel of tape, at an
angle and so if the tape is sticky with age , there is a lot of
resistance there. Its a sort of continuous up-setting action.
Coupled with supply side is small diameter and take up is on the outside
so large diameter. So perhaps the tape winds on too tight if things have
gone out of balance. Next time of powering I'll add some rubber sleeve
over the spindle and try running the whole hank of tape through a few times.
Is there a dry lubricant for such situations of sticky tape, graphite
powder? talcum may be too abrasive on the heads?