Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Handheld CNC

On 8/27/2016 9:50 AM, krw wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 09:47:30 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/26/2016 9:29 PM, krw wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 20:47:26 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 8/26/2016 1:50 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 8/26/2016 11:52 AM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone see this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0clzXWSaCw

So at first I thought: it just *shows* you where to cut, but it's
essentially freehand??? But I watched a second video and now I see that
the router mount compensates to keep the router on the proper line.

So here's my next question: Obviously there's a limit to how quickly the
router control mount can react; presumably designed to be faster than
human hands are likely to jerk the tool off-course. But What about
vibration? And, assuming you might want to use something other than
plywood, tougher materials with inconsistencies? Does a 1/4" bit really
go through 3/4 material smoothly enough?

I ask this not to make an argument, but as a real question from someone
whose experience is limited.

Would be nice to find a demo or workshop with someone using it. More
questions can be answered.

Sure, but they're only taking pre-orders for delivery a year from now.
I didn't read the whole page but it looked a lot like a crowd-funding
proposal (complete with increasing prices as it went on).

Did you see that OpenDesk, Autodesk, Rockler and FESTOOL were partners?
Wondering if this will also be offered by Festool or if Festool will be
the manufacturer.

At that price, it ought to be green. ;-)

Well some of the colors are right. LOL There is black lite grey, and
green on the right control handle. ;~)

And with better optics the tool may, someday, be able to use the grain
on the wood to map it's location.

Maybe it could do the cut list, too.

Probably so and perhaps it does if you use the appropriate CAD software.
Seems Sketchup would be a natural for this application. I use a
plug-in with Sketch up that generates a cut list and also exports in a
format that I use with CutLustPlus.